24 JUN 2021
Add a new attribute and additional data types to allow for improved description of marking on taxiways.
Rationale for change
In AIXM, the TaxiwayMarking feature contains one attribute, markingLocation, to designate the location of the marking on the surface of the taxiway. The codelist for this attribute is missing the code to designate the taxiway shoulder, which is a location that can be marked. Further, there is a need to designate the purpose (type) of the marking, as described in the ICAO Annex 14 Marking. This will also better support the digital NOTAM coding.
It is recommended that an additional code be added to TaxiwaySectionType to capture SHOULDER, and that an additional attribute (“type”) is added to the TaxiwayMarking feature describing the type of information represented by the marking.
International NOTAM example:
A) LSZH B) 1806150300 C) 1806250400
E) TWY E8 AND TWY M SFC PAINTED LOCATION MARKING F MIS.
FAA NOTAM examples with DIRECTION MARKINGS, LOCATION MARKINGS, SHOULDER MARKINGS:
- !BOS 09/097 BOS TWY C DIRECTION MARKINGS BTN RWY 4R/22L AND TWY D OBSC WEF 1209111432-1209252100
- !BOS 10/505 BOS TWY D LOCATION MARKINGS FOR TWY C NOT STD 1310290555-1312312359
- !SLC 01/026 SLC TWY H SHOULDER MARKINGS WEST SIDE BTN TWY H4 AND TWY Y NOT STD 1501072158-1501142359
[FWD_MAP_1:1] Data mapping is possible and no data loss occurs when data is exchanged from a system (A) that uses AIXM 5.1.1 for output towards a system (B) that uses AIXM 5.2 for input.
[BWD_MAP_LOSS] Data mapping is possible, but some data would be lost (or converted into Notes) when data is exchanged from a system (B) that uses AIXM 5.2 for output towards a system (A) that uses AIXM 5.1.1 for input.
Change Proposal details
In the UML model:
- Add a new <codeList> CodeTaxiwayMarkingBaseType, specialisation of <XSDSimpleType>XMLSchemaDatatypes::string and defined as “a code indicating types of taxiway marking", with the following code values:
- DIRECTION: Provides directional guidance at an intersection.
- LOCATION: Identifies the taxiway upon which the aircraft is located.
- VOR_CHECKPOINT: Designates the spot at which an aircraft can check the reception of a correct VOR signal.
- MANDATORY_INSTRUCTION: Identifies a location beyond which an aircraft taxiing or vehicle shall not proceed unless authorized by the airport control tower.
- OTHER: other
- Add a new <DataType> CodeTaxiwayMarkingType, specialisation of new <CodeList>CodeRunwayLightBaseType with the following attribute
- nilReason, type of NilReasonEnumeration , defined as “A complex data type that enables the provision of a NIL reason for any attribute using this type.”
- Add new attribute to <feature>TaxiwayMarking
- type, defined as “the type of marking present on the taxiway”, type of CodeTaxiwayMarkingType.
- Add new value in <CodeList> CodeTaxiwaySectionBaseType
- SHOULDER: Taxiway shoulder.
The UML class diagram to the right shows the recommended updates to the TaxiwayMarking feature. The changes are highlighted in red:
Mapping AIXM 5.1.1 to AIXM 5.2 (forward)
[MAPC-00] The following algorithm shall be applied:
- For each TaxiwayMarking.markingLocation with value:
- “OTHER:DIRECTION” replace with TaxiwayMarking.type with value “DIRECTION”
- “OTHER:LOCATION” replace with TaxiwayMarking.type with value “LOCATION”
- “OTHER:VOR_CHECKPOINT” replace with TaxiwayMarking.type with value “VOR_CHECKPOINT”
- “OTHER: MANDATORY_INSTRUCTION” replace with TaxiwayMarking.type with value “MANDATORY_INSTRUCTION”
- “OTHER: SHOULDER” replace with RunwayMarking.markingLocation with value “SHOULDER”
- For each TaxiwayLightingSystem.position with value:“OTHER:SHOULDER” replace with value “SHOULDER”
Mapping AIXM 5.2 to AIXM 5.1.1 (backward)
The following algorithm shall be applied:
- [MAPC-00] For each TaxiwayMarking.markingLocation with value:
- “SHOULDER” replace with value “OTHER:SHOULDER”
- [MAPC-02]For each TaxiwayMarking.type with any value:
- Remove TaxiwayMarking.type
- Add an annotation.Note associated with the <feature>TaxiwayMarking having
- translatedNote.LinguisticNote.note=” TaxiwayMarking.type: <value of TaxiwayMarking.type>
- [MAPC-00] For each TaxiwayLightingSystem.position with value:“SHOULDER” replace with value “OTHER:SHOULDER”
(Note: for mapping test data see:)
|AIXM 5.2||AIXM 5.1(.1)|